Monday, May 21, 2012
Figure Drawing with Frank Cho
BIG WOW! coverage continues!!!
Right after the Joe Jusko demo was the Figure Drawing with Frank Cho session. I did this last year and it was a blast. Essentially it is live figure drawing by Cho but the audience is invited to join in. Like last year, our model was the voluptuous Ivy, the Baketress (is that a word?) from SoCal.
We did two poses at about 30 minutes each and then Frank critiqued several of the audience member's drawings and added corrections.
For those not familiar with Frank's panels, leave the kids at home. As much as he draws cheesecake, he's not shy about talking about body parts either.
Frank's drawing was projected onto a larger screen. The lighting on the model was low and challenging but we made do.
Frank makes it look easy. The secret to drawing well? Just Draw! Draw! Draw!
Ivy's elaborate Dejah Thoris (John Carter of Mars) costume. My own personal preference, I much rather draw curvaceous models like Ivy than skinny ones. Curves are MUCH more fun to draw.
Later, Frank would critique audience member's drawings and correct them.
More corrections.
A break between poses.
So, how did I do? Below are my four drawings. Four and not two because I think I just draw too fast, something trained into me. I had this problem in my figure drawing marathon a few weeks back. I need to slow down and look more carefully.
I do prefer the close ups.
Last year, I had my work critiqued and, while the drawings were not bad, a lot of the form got lost in all my rendering with my pencils. But since December, I've been using a mechanical pencil instead of the traditional array of HB, 2B, 4B, 8B, etc. While the mechanical pencil doesn't give me the value range for a great pencil study, I noticed it is great for my pre-inking drawings. But these drawings still seem very loose.
Labels:
Big Wow,
Boobs,
Dejah Thoris,
figure drawing,
Frank Cho,
Ivy,
San Jose
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


















Nice rendering! Great to see pics of Cho's live tutorial. I completely missed it!
ReplyDeleteExcellent detailed report! Love your work
ReplyDeleteOn another note, how may I contact you privately?
Hi Ivania. Either atomic99@comcast.net (any message posted at this site will go to that address too) or find me on Facebook (Ralph Werner with the Frankenstein art avatar).
DeleteThanks for the kind comments and for posing for Frank and the crowd. If you haven't seen them already, I have drawings from your Ms. Marvel session in 2011 as well in the blog archives.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete