I had intended to write up something for the second half of my large post in the SiDEBAR forums about the Leyendecker works NOT in the show but stored in the museum's archives, which I had made a special appointment to get access to. Pressed for time before the forums went away, I just posted images with minimal type. I didn't back that part up in my archives but I'll try to recreate some of it here.
Above: Artist J.C. Leyendecker.
Above: After artists Frank and J.C. Leyendecker had passed on, their sister Augusta donated many works to the Haggin Museum, who's director at the time in the 1950s was a huge fan of the artist. Besides finished paintings, there are many early works, prelim and roughs, and even a family photo album as seen above.
Above: Photograph of the artists' sister Augusta in her youth.
Above: Newspaper article about the Leyendecker house being moved.
Above: Another photo of August in her youth.
Above: Showing that some things never change, this is one of J.C.'s textbooks from his youth. As any artist does, either out of boredom during class or just seeking a creative outlet, time was spent lettering his name on the insdie cover and then an early illustration on the back inside cover shown below.
Above: An example of J.C.'s immaculate writing. And then yet another signature below, this time a more informal "Joe Leyendecker".
MORE EARLY LEYENDECKER IN PART IIX









Wow there great, lovely pictures!
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures, they'd look awesome as photos on canvas - you should check it out.
ReplyDeleteOh they look brilliant quality for the age! What a great find and to have on display is just excellent!
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting find, looks really good!
ReplyDeleteAwesome article!
ReplyDelete