Saturday, February 16, 2013
Portraits
I was helping out some friends two weeks ago with a church fundraiser by doing portraits. My original sample portraits were completely watercolor but they took way too long to paint and I over-rendered them. One of the samples was of the Pope, who promptly announced his resignation less than two weeks later. I think it was the shock of me doing a religious painting that got to him. :)
So I went back to my more comic book style to speed things up. And I managed to wrangle four commissions out of the gig, which I finally finished tonight. Above is my portrait of "Tala". I went heavier and darker on this first one compared to the ones below, "Mary" and two kids. I've also included the pencils and the inked/pre-wash versions. I've always been a bit nervous about nailing a likeness, especially with these where you try not to exaggerate the features too much, and I'm proud that I was able to draw them from looking at a photo rather than tracing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










No comments:
Post a Comment