Happy New Year! I hope everyone had some good holidays. It always goes quick for me, especially that time from Halloween to New Years Day, and it is tough to get any artwork in with all the busy work with cleaning for company and shopping for relatives and friends.
I have some aggressive art goals for 2013. I'm looking to publish a couple comic books, one including the ISHI storyline, which I gave a sample of last month. That is really just a sampler zine that is part of a larger story along with some other Northern California historical themes I hope to get to.
But between all of that sequential work, I wanted to get back to doing more sketching. I have a sketchbook that I set aside for months that I finally did some damage in. The goal of this sketchbook is to study more artists in the industry that I like and copy their works to learn from. I feel I really haven't done enough of that over the years.
So I printed out a bunch of drawings I liked from some of my favorite artists in Terry Dodson, Steve Rude, Mark Schultz, and Adam Hughes and started sketching. Other that the opening image at the very top, all of these were sketched at a small BASA gathering at the end of December.
I didn't want to limit it to copying other artwork either so I had some photographs to study from. All of those drawings are below.
While there are a few male figures in the bunch here, I noticed most of them being women. Being the end of the calendar year and the start of a new one, I'm calling these my calendar girls.
The first three months of a new year tend to be the most productive for me so I was anxious to get back to my art once the holidays were in the rear window. But, as luck would have it, I rang in the new year getting sick with a cold and have been nursing it for a week and a half. But the image at the very top is the start of yet another sketchbook and the first drawing of the year as I try out this new RENDR sketchbook.


















No comments:
Post a Comment